Monday, November 16, 2009

Movies + A large rant...

On Friday, my brother is going to take me to the movies with his girlfriend. It'll be fun, since he's actually willing to spend time with me, also because I've never met his girlfriend before. I'm a little worried about making a whole 'first impression' thing, since I'm not very good at it and can tend to be a bit...awkward in public. Other then that, there's nothing wrong with spending a day at the movies with my brother...except one more thing, the movie. I'm not particularly 'excited' about the movie we're going to see, but my brother's girlfriend happens to love the movies (there we're two, this is the sequel to the first.) We're seeing New Moon. Oh boy, where to start. Well, this 'series' was first a novel saga of four books. I heard about the first book while surfing the internet and thought it might be interesting, so I went to Borders to buy it. Big mistake. First off, I didn't know there was so much hype about this book when I first bought it, so I didn't think much of it when I started to read. By three pages in, I just wasn't caught. My attention isn't hard to get, but it is hard to keep, and you know it's bad when I end at a three pages of a book. 
So, for I while I didn't read it, I set it aside for months and read my other books, until I had nothing left but that. By then the buzz about the book was strong enough and I went into the book, rather then normally, with the idea that this book would be the best. I finished the rest of the book in about 4 weeks, thought my thoughts of it being the best book ever messed with me, it filled the book with good grammar, body and description that it didn't have, and my mind was what made it the best book ever, not the author. But after I starting regaining 'consciousness' I realized something's wrong, I have to go back and read this again, I must have missed something. Turns out, I did miss something, the entire reality of the story! I fought through the entire book, or what I could of it, but at chapter 13 (or 12, I forget which) I hit a brink wall... 
Keep in mind, I am a BIG fan of the classic, fangs, bloodsuckers, burn in the sun vampires. I love, love, love Anne Rice, she is my favorite author of all time BECAUSE of my love for the classical Draculas, Nosferatus, Lestats, you know all the famous classic vampires.  Well, the first thing I noticed, ESPECIALLY in said chapter, the author completely ignores the traditional vampiric traits, INCLUDING fangs. Now, if that didn't set me off enough, in chapter 13, instead of burning in the sunlight, these vampires sparkle. SPARKLE! At this point I wanted to hunt this author down and ban her from ever picking up a pen again. Ever. This woman took the traditional vampire, whom in which may I add had no problem sucking the life out of the person they 'loved', and twisted it into her own fantasy. Not to mention she's got the most Mary-Sue heroine who has done nothing but have repetitive thoughts of how hot her new abusive vampire boyfriend is, to be called a heroine. I'm usually a really nice person, but being a writer myself, this made me mad, and I just needed to vent. I do not recommend this book to anyone, even if you love things along the lines of fantasy books. To me this book was never good enough to be signed with a publisher, much less made into a movie series. It's just not right, thinking about all the deserving and amazing writers out there, talking about real issues or presenting GOOD stories with a real plot-line and a real meaning, and then seeing something like this being published AND seeing it receive so much hype and praise. For what? Thats what I would like to know. For what, is all this praise and hype and calling this an original or good piece of literature? It isn't either of those things, it's not original, and it's DEFINITELY not a (good enough to be called) a literary piece; So, why call it that?


And if you haven't read the whole series or even just the first book like I did, your lucky, try to keep it that way. 


See you all later. I'll post some new art soon hopefully. 
Bye.

3 comments:

  1. Personally, I don't like vampires, but there is a huge hype about this series. Vampires creep me out. And to think people would spend hours reading about vampires sucking the blood and life out of people is beyond me. But, everyone's entitled to their opinion. Go figure.
    Anyhow, I agree with you. I will never read that book. Nor see the movie because it sounds pretty horrifying. But have fun with your brother and his girlfriend at the movies anyway.

    P.S. Don't worry, your not awkward in public. I've seen awkward...believe me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess it depends on the vampire...and the person. :)
    Some vampires, I think you would like, ones that don't viciously attack people. :D I'll tell you when I can name one. :D
    Thanks for telling me to have fun, but it will most likely be impossible. Grrrr, I dislike everything of that serie. I'm so glad you haven't read it. Lucky you!! ;D

    PS: Are you doing anything next Thursday?? :) email me! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete